APPLICATION PERIOD HAS CLOSED FOR THIS POSITION. THANK YOU.
The Communications Director is expected to oversee communications functions for the office, including press/media management, social media, and drafting various types of internal and external correspondence. Other major functions include assisting the Legislative Director with legislative and policy projects, stakeholder engagement, monitoring district issues, and staffing the Senator at events and meetings.
Position title: Communications Director
Time: Full time, 37.5 hours per week
Start Date: March/April 2020
Position based in: Boston, MA
Media Management Responsibilities:
- Manages media relations and social media for the Senator.
- Serves as spokesperson for the office in the press.
- Drafts press releases, advisories, FAQs, and editorial pieces.
- Leads weekly communications meeting with Senator and Chief of Staff.
- Executes longer term media plan to highlight the work the Senator does on behalf of his constituents and issues he has led on.
- Responsible for weekly review of all in-district newspapers, and follow up on local news.
- Pitch stories and media interviews to media.
- Point person in the office for managing the Senator’s Facebook and Twitter accounts, and other social media as necessary.
- Executes monthly e-mail newsletter for the Senator.
- Works to grow the distribution list for the Senator's e-mail newsletter.
- Manage the office website, SenatorCyr.com.
- Manages the Senator’s YouTube account, and maintains files of photos and graphics for the office.
- Point for creating infographics and other creative content for use on the Senator’s social media accounts.
- Periodic staffing and meetings in district. Represents the Senator at events and meetings.
- Works a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Massachusetts Legislature, policy, and legislative process.
- Ability to work independently to solve problems and complete projects.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to work some evening and weekend hours, especially during busy periods of the legislative year.
Education and Experience:
- Any combination of education and experience that indicates strong writing and communications focused skills.
- Knowledge of or professional experience with the Cape and Islands District that demonstrates an understanding of the region’s priorities and key issues, preferred.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s degree
Salary Range: $45k-$50k per year
Applicants should submit a resume, professional writing sample, one-page cover letter, and 3 references to Chief of Staff Patrick Johnson: Patrick.Johnson@masenate.gov
**NEW** Application deadline is Monday, March 2nd at 5pm. No calls, please. Position to start ASAP in March/April 2020.
The Office of State Senator Julian Cyr is committed to providing equal access to job opportunities for all and, as such, employment decisions in our office are made without regard to gender, race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, veteran status, or genetic information. Senator Cyr and his staff are committed to creating a work environment free from discrimination.