Senator Julian Cyr represents Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket. First elected to the State Senate in November 2016, Senator Cyr is now serving in his third term and is among the youngest senators in the 40-member body. He is the Senate Assistant Majority Whip; Chair of the Joint Committee on Mental Health, Substance Use and Recovery; Vice Chair of the Joint Committee on Racial Equity, Civil Rights, and Inclusion; Vice Chair of the Joint Committee on Elder Affairs; and serves on committees with oversight of health care policy, public health, telecommunications and energy, COVID-19 emergency management, and redistricting.
The Legislative Director manages policy development, legislative drafting, and analysis for Senator Cyr. The person in this position will advise Senator Cyr on pending legislation and policy matters and will work to advance the Senator’s legislative agenda under the direction of the Chief of Staff. Other major responsibilities include stakeholder engagement, monitoring district issues, and drafting various types of internal and external correspondence.
Position title: Legislative Director
Time: Full time, 37.5 hours per week
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Position based in: Boston, MA (virtual for the time being)
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Senator and Chief of Staff to identify legislative and budget priorities.
- Research and draft legislation, amendments, written and oral testimony, and policy/legal memoranda.
- Summarize and brief the Senator and Chief of Staff on legislation and amendments pending before the Senate; staff the Senator during formal Senate sessions.
- Monitor and recommend bill co-sponsorships, resolutions, and legislative letter sign-on requests to the Senator and Chief of Staff.
- Track and analyze the annual state budget and supplemental budgets, and manage budget debate preparation for the office.
- Manage district legislative issues and home rule petitions.
- Serve as primary staff for the Senator’s legislative committee assignments.
- Staff the Senator during meetings and hearings at the State House, and in the district on occasion.
- Attend meetings on behalf of the Senator in the State House and in the district as needed.
- Respond to constituent legislative inquiries via phone, letters, and e-mail.
This position requires the following:
- Excellent research, writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to solve problems and complete projects.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to work some evening and weekend hours, especially during busy periods of the legislative year.
- Willingness and ability to travel to the district periodically.
- Any combination of education and experience that indicates strong writing, analytic, and legal reasoning skills.
Strongly desired, but not required:
- Knowledge of the Massachusetts Legislature, legislative process, and Massachusetts Law.
- Knowledge of or professional experience with the Cape and Islands District that demonstrates an understanding of the region’s priorities and key issues.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience.
- Law degree or other relevant advanced degree
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Plus benefits.
To apply: Applicants should submit a resume, professional writing sample, one-page cover letter, and 3 references to Chief of Staff Liz Ganz: [email protected]
No calls, please.
The Office of State Senator Julian Cyr is committed to providing equal access to job opportunities for all and, as such, employment decisions in our office are made without regard to gender, race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, veteran status, or genetic information. Senator Cyr and his staff are committed to creating a work environment free from discrimination.