I have an opening in my office for the position of Legislative Director. Applications are due by 5pm on Monday, June 24, 2019. To apply, applicants should submit a resume, professional writing sample, one-page cover letter, and 3 references to Chief of Staff Pat Johnson at Patrick.Johnson@masenate.gov. No calls, please. Position to start ASAP in July/August 2019.
The Legislative Director is expected to take the lead on all policy development, legislative drafting and analysis. The person in this position will advise Senator Cyr on pending legislation and policy matters and will work to advance the Senator’s legislative agenda under the direction of the Chief of Staff. Other major functions include stakeholder engagement, monitoring district issues, and drafting various types of internal and external correspondence.
- Draft legislation, amendments, letters of testimony, and policy/legal memoranda.
- Summarize and brief the senator on legislation and amendments pending before the Senate and staff the senator during formal Senate sessions.
- Monitor and recommend bill co-sponsorships, resolutions, and legislative letter sign-on requests to Senator.
- Track and analyze the annual state budget, and lead budget preparation for the office.
- Manage district policy issues and home rule petitions.
- Serve as primary staff for the Senator’s legislative committee assignments.
- Prepare weekly policy meeting agendas to brief and update the Senator on legislation, policy, and budget matters.
- Staff the Senator during meetings and hearings at the State House and in the district on occasion.
- Attend meetings on behalf of the Senator in the State House and in the District as needed.
- Respond to constituent legislative inquiries via phone, letters, and e-mail.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Massachusetts Legislature, legislative process, and Massachusetts Law.
- Ability to work independently to solve problems and complete projects.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to work some evening and weekend hours, especially during busy periods of the legislative year.
Education and Experience:
- Any combination of education and experience that indicates strong writing and legal reasoning skills.
- Knowledge of or professional experience with the Cape and Islands District that demonstrates an understanding of the region’s priorities and key issues.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience, required.
- JD (law degree) strongly preferred.
- Other advanced degree (in lieu of a law degree), or previous experience in the Massachusetts legislature, preferred.
Applicants should submit a resume, professional writing sample, one-page cover letter, and 3 references to Chief of Staff Patrick Johnson at Patrick.Johnson@masenate.gov. Application deadline is Monday, June 24th at 5pm. No calls, please. Position to start ASAP in July/August 2019. Position based in Boston, MA - working from the MA State House.
The Office of State Senator Julian Cyr is committed to providing equal access to job opportunities for all and, as such, employment decisions in our office are made without regard to gender, race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, veteran status, or genetic information. Senator Cyr and his staff are committed to creating a work environment free from discrimination.