Position Description: Senator Julian Cyr represents Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket. First elected to the State Senate in November 2016, Senator Cyr is now serving in his third term and is among the youngest senators in the 40-member body. He is the Senate Assistant Majority Whip; Chair of the Joint Committee on Mental Health, Substance Use and Recovery; Vice Chair of the Joint Committee on Racial Equity, Civil Rights, and Inclusion; Vice Chair of the Joint Committee on Elder Affairs; and serves on committees with oversight of health care policy, public health, telecommunications and energy, COVID-19 emergency management, and redistricting.
The Communications Director manages communications for Senator Cyr, including press/media management, social media, and drafting various types of internal and external correspondence. Other major functions include speechwriting, assisting the Legislative Director with legislative and policy projects, stakeholder engagement, monitoring district issues, and staffing the Senator at events and meetings.
Position title: Communications Director
Time: Full time, 37.5 hours per week
Start Date: August 2021
Position based in: Boston, MA (virtual for the time being)
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Respond to press inquiries and coordinate interview times with the Legislative Aide.
- Draft press releases, advisories, FAQs, and editorial pieces.
- Conduct weekly review of all in-district newspapers.
- Pitch stories and interviews to press outlets.
- Draft pre-interview talking points for the Senator's advance materials.
- Coordinate logistics for live press events.
- Work with the Senator and Chief of Staff to chart long-term media planning.
- Manage the Senator’s Facebook, Twitter, and other social media accounts and collaborate with him to develop content.
- Create high-quality infographics for the Senator's social media accounts
- Draft the Senator's monthly e-mail newsletter and leverage available tools to grow distribution list.
- Update the office's website, SenatorCyr.com, with news and resources for constituents.
- Update the office's YouTube account with footage from Senate sessions and events.
- Draft internal and external correspondence as assigned.
- Respond to constituent policy and legislative inquiries via phone, letters, and e-mail.
- Serve as Senator’s designee to commissions and task forces, as assigned
- Represent and staff the Senator at district events and meetings as necessary; work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends.
This position requires the following:
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to solve problems and complete projects.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to work some evening and weekend hours, especially during busy periods of the legislative year.
- Willingness and ability to travel to the district periodically.
- Bachelor’s degree; or Associate degree with more than 1 year of professional work experience.
Strongly desired, but not required:
- Knowledge of the Massachusetts Legislature, legislative process, and Massachusetts Law.
- Knowledge of the Cape and Islands District, or professional experience that demonstrates an understanding of the region's priorities and key issues.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Plus benefits.
To apply: Applicants should submit a resume, professional writing sample, one-page cover letter, and 3 references to Chief of Staff Liz Ganz: [email protected]
No calls, please.
The Office of State Senator Julian Cyr is committed to providing equal access to job opportunities for all and, as such, employment decisions in our office are made without regard to gender, race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, veteran status, or genetic information. Senator Cyr and his staff are committed to creating a work environment free from discrimination.